SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

May 2007

From:
John Hearns <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Hearns <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 May 2007 06:41:31 +0100
Jon Peatfield wrote:

> Considering the case of an update to 'openssl', there are many
> packages which depend on it, and several of these have
> services/daemons.
>
> However, as far as I can tell none of them have any obvious
> '--scripts' or '--triggers' which will cause those to be re-started
> if openssl is updated.

Adding a somewhat idle comment to this thread,
I once had a spirited discussion with a Debian developer (Phil Hands).
He sang the praises of dpkg which is claimed to always restart services
such as sshd following an update, versus rpm which does as you describe.
I guess he was right.

To be fair, its not the actual mechanics of rpm versus dpkg, more
Debian's rigid adherence to the rules.
(Did i really just praise Debian over the right and natural way of RPM
based distros? Need that first coffee of the morning to bring reality
back into focus).