SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

May 2007

From:
Keith Lofstrom <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 31 May 2007 19:35:13 -0700
Still finding minor stuff broken in SL5 gnome.

Another way to move the window currently in focus between workspaces
in gnome is "Ctrl-Alt-Shift" and then one of the four arrow keys to
move it to a neighboring workspace.   This works with any combination
of Ctrl and Alt and Shift (left and right keys) for SL4.4 and the
three most recent Ubuntus (Dapper using gnome 2.14, Edgy using 2.16,
and Feisty using 2.18).

However, gnome window move does *not* respond to the left Alt key
for SL5, on three different machines (two laptops and a desktop) for
both upgrade and fresh install.  Another minor annoyance; having
to hit four keys only on the right side of the keyboard gets a
little crowded.

I don't know whether this is also broken in RHEL5 or CentOS5 or FC6.

Note, xev shows that the keystrokes are all responding properly, so
the problem is downstream of keyboard decoding.

I haven't found a fix.  I suspect there is a configuration file
somewhere that needs a minor tweak.

Keith

--
Keith Lofstrom          [log in to unmask]         Voice (503)-520-1993