SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

May 2007

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 May 2007 08:35:21 -0500
I'm wondering if it's getting stuck on "firstboot", or possibly having a
hard time getting the proper video resolution, also on firstboot.
Two things to try.
1st
let it sit there at that black screen for 10-15 minutes, see if it sorts
itself out.  (This sounds silly, but has occasionally worked, the
machine was really just trying to figure out the video and was taking a
long time)

2nd
Boot into single mode (see instructions below, but instead of putting
"vga=ask" put "single".  Once you are booted into single user mode tell
firstboot not to run.  There are a couple ways to do that

  /sbin/chkconfig --level 2345 firstboot off
or
  echo "RUN_FIRSTBOOT=NO" > /etc/sysconfig/firstboot

Then reboot, and see if you come up in a graphical mode this time.

Troy

Alex Kruchkoff wrote:
> Roger,
>
> Please do not send your questions to me but to the list instead [cc:ed].
> I can give you a hint: instead of default resolution 80x25 use different
> with more rows/columns per screen - it would be easier to troubleshoot.
>
> When you'll see a GRUB screen waiting a few seconds, press any key [for
> example an arrow down] it will bring the GRUB menu.
> If you have more than 1 kernel [OS] to boot -- navigate to SL50. [using
> up and down arrow keys]
>
> Press "e" [for edit] key and you will see all parameters to boot up your
> SL 5.0
> Navigate to kernel line and press "e" again.
>
> If you have such options as "quiet" [means suppress kernel messages] or
> "rhgb" [red hat graphical boot] remove them with Backspace.
> also type "vga=ask" and press enter.
>
> Try to boot the kernel by pressing "b".
>
> At the begining the kernel will show standard VGA resolutions in the
> text mode.
> Try "scan" to find extra modes implemented in your BIOS.
>
> Select mode with the highest resolution something like 144x64 or
> whatever option you'll have. There are more chances that you spot some
> error message.
>
> BTW my laptop is very strange -- it's impossible to boot up linux or
> solaris if the USB mouse is attached. The laptop will freeze. So I can
> insert usb mouse only after a few initial checks (with [OK] lines).
>
> Thanks,
> Alex
>
> PS May be someone on the list has a hardware similar to yours and will
> give another advise on how to troubleshoot your problem. This is why
> posting to the list is much better than to an individual
>

> Roger Hunter wrote, On 05/30/2007 11:14 AM:
>> Thanks Alex.
>>
>> No, no error messages. The install gives all sorts of messages, most
>> too fast to read or record.
>>
>> Rger

Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468
Fermilab  ComputingDivision/LCSI/CSI DSS Group