SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

May 2007

From:
Alex Kruchkoff <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Alex Kruchkoff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 May 2007 11:45:12 +1000
Roger,

Please do not send your questions to me but to the list instead [cc:ed].
I can give you a hint: instead of default resolution 80x25 use different
with more rows/columns per screen - it would be easier to troubleshoot.

When you'll see a GRUB screen waiting a few seconds, press any key [for
example an arrow down] it will bring the GRUB menu.
If you have more than 1 kernel [OS] to boot -- navigate to SL50. [using
up and down arrow keys]

Press "e" [for edit] key and you will see all parameters to boot up your
SL 5.0
Navigate to kernel line and press "e" again.

If you have such options as "quiet" [means suppress kernel messages] or
"rhgb" [red hat graphical boot] remove them with Backspace.
also type "vga=ask" and press enter.

Try to boot the kernel by pressing "b".

At the begining the kernel will show standard VGA resolutions in the
text mode.
Try "scan" to find extra modes implemented in your BIOS.

Select mode with the highest resolution something like 144x64 or
whatever option you'll have. There are more chances that you spot some
error message.

BTW my laptop is very strange -- it's impossible to boot up linux or
solaris if the USB mouse is attached. The laptop will freeze. So I can
insert usb mouse only after a few initial checks (with [OK] lines).

Thanks,
Alex

PS May be someone on the list has a hardware similar to yours and will
give another advise on how to troubleshoot your problem. This is why
posting to the list is much better than to an individual