SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

May 2007

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 May 2007 11:22:46 -0500
Hi Keith,
Are you using a proprietory video driver, like NVidia?
If so, there is a known problem with some fonts.  It's not really
something I know how to fix.  But if you want to test it, look at the
same page without using the nvidia driver and see if the fonts are
working correctly.

Troy

[log in to unmask] wrote:
> On Mon, 28 May 2007, Keith Lofstrom wrote:
>
>> Here's a little one hour hair puller (much less for those in the
>> know, I'm sure).
>>
>> While testing OpenOffice after upgrading to SL5, I saw that the
>> letter "r" in the menus was rendered incorrectly, looking closer
>> to a flaky "n", as if the first column of pixels was being displayed
>> last.  Only on OpenOffice, not on other applications, menu bars, etc.
>> At first I thought it was an OO bug, and spent a long time frobbing
>> on that.  I won't bore you with more details.
>>
>> It turned out to be a bad interaction between OO and the "Sans 9" font
>> used as the application font.  I changed the application font to
>> "Sans 10" in System > Preference > Font, and it is larger but clean.
>
> Thanks for sharing info. But it's not doing that on my SL5 desktop.
> Fonts in the menu are rendered perfectly at size 8,9,10...
>
>   Stephan
>
>> Keith
>>
>> P.S.
>> And larger in a bunch of other things, so a little less desktop space.
>>
>> --
>> Keith Lofstrom          [log in to unmask]         Voice (503)-520-1993
>> KLIC --- Keith Lofstrom Integrated Circuits --- "Your Ideas in Silicon"
>> Design Contracting in Bipolar and CMOS - Analog, Digital, and Scan ICs

Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468
Fermilab  ComputingDivision/LCSI/CSI DSS Group