SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

May 2007

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 May 2007 11:19:50 -0500
Hello,
Thank you for the detailed report.  Comments and questions are below at
the appropriate spots.

Claudiu Tanaselia wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Yesterday I burned and freshly installed SL 5.0 on my primarily
> desktop oriented system, though I used it for ssh, ftp and http server
> too. Here are some questions and remarks about the install process.
>
> My system consist of: Asus P5B-Deluxe MB (with that hated JMicron
> Controller), 512 MB RAM 800MHz, Intel Core2 Duo E6300 1.8GHz, 1 WD
> 320GB SATA HDD (+1WD 250GB from time to time for backups and storage),
> nvidia 7300 GT video board.

Since it is mentioned below, can you send the output of lspci?

> I was affraid that the installer will not recognize my SATA HDD
> (happened with all the distro except the latest Ubuntu) so I booted
> the install DVD with "linux all-generic-ide"  parameter, soon to
> realize that the installer was awfully slow, and I had to gave up
> after waiting more than 15 minute after I pressed OK on selecting the
> keyboard. I tried running without all-generic-ide parameter and it
> booted flawlessly, my HDD was seen and installed on, with normal
> speed. This was nice.
>
> Regarding the installer, I saw some mentions of RHEL Beta. SL is
> compiled using the RHEL final release sources, right? That mentions of
> Beta was left accidentally from previous builds?

Where are you seeing mentions of RHEL Beta?
These rpm's are *not* built off RHEL 5 final.  But, just so you know
neither was RHEL 5.  But our goal is to build everything from publically
available rpm's.
Just so you know our usual procedure.  We build everything from the last
RHEL public beta.  Re-install everything, then build everything again
with that release.  So ... in essence, it sortof is rebuilt from the
latest RHEL 5, but it's really built from the latest SL 5.
But this time was a little different.
If you look at a real RHEL 5 you will notice alot of packages marked
fc6.  Yes, that's right, they actually shipped Fedora Core 6 packages,
rebuilt on a fedora core 6 machine.
For some of these packages, we actually had to recompiled them on a
fedora core 6 machine, or the equivilant of one.  So you are going to
see some fc6 marked rpm's in the release.
But what about beta 5?  I think I found it.
gaim-2.0.0-0.28.beta5.el5
That is actually the fifth beta of gaim.  Not the beta of RHEL5.

> I have an Attansic L1 ethernet board, for which I need special
> drivers. Using my MB CD I compiled and installed the drivers. Now, my
> mistake was that I don't look previously to see if my new installed
> system was able to detect my ethernet. I just saw that pings doesn't
> worked and firefox wasn't displaying any pages so I get the drivers
> and compiled them. After inserting the modules and configuring the
> network using the applet from Administration, I had no problem with my
> Internet connection.
>
> For repositories, I've added freshrpm for ktorrent and vlc. Is
> freshrpm a good thing for SL or not? I've chosen the repos for
> RHEL5.0. Can I used it for updates too?

Maybe I'm looking at the wrong place, but I don't see FreshRPM's
supporthing RHEL5.  Are you sure you aren't really poiting to a dag or
rpmforge repository?

> I let the computer run overnight for some downloading. In the morning,
> I saw that my Internet connection was down. My eth0 was inactive and
> when trying to activate it using the same panel under Administration
> menu, give an error, being unable to detect my IP. Pinging my router
> doesn't do any good. Now, since I don't have direct physic access to
> my router all the time, it is possible that it was poweroff during the
> night or some ISP problems happend in the mean time. I will check it,
> though my first thought was that my ethernet driver failed somehow,
> which seems stranger and less probable than my router powered off or
> ISP problems. How can I identify the source of the problem, without
> having direct access to the router?
>
> Thank you and I apologize I my text is too long, but I wanted to give
> you as much details as possible.
>
> Claudiu Tanaselia,
> PhD student and Assistent Researcher,
> Institute for Analytical Instrumentation, Cluj-Napoca, Romania.
>
> P.S. One of the pictures from the Anaconda installer slideshow
> featured a man in the shadow, on a circular background. That man look
> very much like Arthur.C. Clarke, can someone confirm this? Just
> curious :)

I'll let Connie comment on that picture.
At some point I will have a page up with all the pictures, who took
them, and what they are of.  That will be when I get the installation
page created.

Troy
Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468
Fermilab  ComputingDivision/LCSI/CSI DSS Group