SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

May 2007

From:
Keith Lofstrom <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 28 May 2007 12:51:19 -0700
Here's a little one hour hair puller (much less for those in the
know, I'm sure).

While testing OpenOffice after upgrading to SL5, I saw that the
letter "r" in the menus was rendered incorrectly, looking closer
to a flaky "n", as if the first column of pixels was being displayed
last.  Only on OpenOffice, not on other applications, menu bars, etc.
At first I thought it was an OO bug, and spent a long time frobbing
on that.  I won't bore you with more details.

It turned out to be a bad interaction between OO and the "Sans 9" font
used as the application font.  I changed the application font to
"Sans 10" in System > Preference > Font, and it is larger but clean.

Keith

P.S.
And larger in a bunch of other things, so a little less desktop space.

--
Keith Lofstrom          [log in to unmask]         Voice (503)-520-1993