SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

May 2007

From:
Axel Thimm <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 25 May 2007 19:20:21 +0200
On Fri, May 25, 2007 at 12:05:21PM -0500, Troy Dawson wrote:
> Hi Alex,
> SL 5 does not translate to Fedora Core 5.  It doesn't translate to
> Fedora at all, but the closest would be Fedora Core 6.
>
> So, where would you get things out of Fedora Extra's for SL5 or SL4.
> Well, there is a new Fedora project called EPEL, which is basically the
> extra's stuff for RHEL.
>
> http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/epel/
>
> It's still very new, but it has alot of stuff in it.  I don't know how
> it compares (as far as compatibility) with the repositories we already
> have (dag and atrpms).

Well, there has been some negative developement resulting in all 3rd
party repos (existing in RHEL space like dag/dries/atrpms/karan and to
become like ccrma) and CentOS being driven away from EPEL. So
compatibility will most likely suffer, because it needs to be a two
way street. Consider me biased, but the reason for the above is that
EPEL refuses to cooperate with anything non-EPEL, other than drawing
in development resources.

But there are some people that did like the idea of
dag/dries/atrpms/centosplus/extras/karan etc. merging and maybe this
will happen soon.

> But ... after looking, it doesn't have either xemacs or seamonkey,

Try out

http://centos.karan.org/el5/extras/testing/i386/RPMS/

xemacs is there, no seamonkey, though.

--