SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

May 2007

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 May 2007 12:05:21 -0500
Hi Alex,
SL 5 does not translate to Fedora Core 5.  It doesn't translate to
Fedora at all, but the closest would be Fedora Core 6.

So, where would you get things out of Fedora Extra's for SL5 or SL4.
Well, there is a new Fedora project called EPEL, which is basically the
extra's stuff for RHEL.

http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/epel/

It's still very new, but it has alot of stuff in it.  I don't know how
it compares (as far as compatibility) with the repositories we already
have (dag and atrpms).

But ... after looking, it doesn't have either xemacs or seamonkey, so
maybe your way is the way to get it ... currently.  Just know that if a
year, you won't be getting any updates for them, and seamonkey often has
vulnerabilities.

Troy

Alex Finch wrote:
>  Here's a quick tip.
>

>  I wanted to add xemacs and seamonkey to our test SL5 installation as
> they are missing, and extensively used by our users on SL3 and 4.
>
>  I found they exist in the fedora extras repository, so I tried
> following the instructions in:
>
> http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/extras/EXTRAS
>
> This give the baseurl as:
>
> baseurl=http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/extras/$releasever/$basearch/
>

> However this does not work as $releasever apparently translates to 5.0
> whereas the value which works is 5, so I replaced $releasever with 5 and
> it worked. I was able to do
>
> yum -y install xemacs
> yum -y install seamonkey
>
> The complete contents of  my /etc/yum.repos.d/fedora-extras.repo is:
>
> [extras]
> name=Fedora Extras - $releasever - $basearch
> baseurl=http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/extras/5/$basearch/
>
> failovermethod=priority
> gpgcheck=1
> gpgkey=http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/extras/RPM-GPG-KEY-Fedora-Extras
>

>  hope this helps someone!
>
>         Alex

Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468
Fermilab  ComputingDivision/LCSI/CSI DSS Group