SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

May 2007

From:
Johan Mares <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Johan Mares <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 May 2007 08:52:53 +0200
During installation of SL5 I chose to install webserver (apache, php,
pear, unixODBC, sqlite, mysql, ...)
Using phpinfo() I notice that the configure command was
... --without-pear --without-sqlite --without-mysql --without-gd
--without-unixODBC --disable-pdo ...

Yet PEAR, MySQL, PDO, ... are installed. I can install and use PEAR
packages, I can connect to databases and query them with mysql
functions, I can connect to MySQL database using PDO functions, ...

It looks like a contradiction to me. Unless I should not trust solely on
the view of the configure command but also on the list with additional
ini files ?

By the way if I want to install extra php modules (I think that is the
right term for things like php-xml, php-xmlrpc, ...) how do I do that ?
With add/remove software (limited choice) or do I have to custom install
Apache instead of using SL installation ?
Is it possible to upgrade to a higher PHP (e.g. 5.2.1) version without
breaking the updater of SL ? I know that bugfixes and security updates
are normally backported but, alas not the new features.

Thanx,

Johan

--
VLIZ