SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

May 2007

Date:
Mon, 7 May 2007 14:42:11 -0500
cpuspeed was off.  If I say 'shutdown -h now', the machines powers off
after a clean shutdown.  If I say 'shutdown -r now', it brings the
machine down.  The last steps are remounting md0 readonly and syncing
the SATA drives.  The last line it prints on the screen is 'Restarting
system'.  Then, it just sits there.  I have to use the front-panel
switch to turn it off, then power it back on.  Which is a bummer if you
have to reboot it remotely. Btw, the front-panel switch is one of these
new types when you have to hold it down for several seconds before it
actually powers the machine off.

I'm wondering if it's some hardware problem.  It's my understanding that
a restart is basically like a push button reset.  The last thing the CPU
does is pull the reset line (A20 or A21 ??) which causes the M/B to go
through its boot-up.  But, now with ACPI and these smart power supplies,
I was wondering if somehow this is the cause of my problem.

Any other suggestions?

Ken