SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL Archives

May 2007

From:
Owen Synge <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 30 May 2007 16:45:59 +0200
I am trying to cut a dcache release as we speak but after that , and
catching up for some bugs that came in while I was at a Grid deployment
meeting, I shall be working on a new metapackage and VOMS query
application that should remove the need for perl-Net-SSLeay

For testing at Desy I must admit I built and successfully and used from
DAG I think, in SL 4 64 bit.

I spoke to many grid admins who always supplement SL 3 or 4, 64 bit or
32 bit with the DAG repositories, I also had the impression that this
was standard for the LCG grid as of SL 4. (Its not required for SL3)

Maybe Suggesting DAG repositories will change as SL4 becomes the
standard grid platform with the forthcoming release, I should like to
know. I do know that for LCG Grid current opinion in the order of 32/64
bit support priorities seems not to be a consistent request. For Dcache
both are targets and 64 bit will take priority as our customers seem to
want it more. I think for other node types the order of priority maybe
32 bit 64 bit. Either way I shall try to reduce Dcache as a cause of
these dependencies as soon as I get time and for now I recommend DAG.

Regards

Owen

PS

Please correct me if I'm wrong about DAG repositories.

PPS

We don't have many perl experts, and none in my immediate team so want
to remove all perl dependencies as well, even such well written perl.