SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL Archives

May 2007

From:
Oleg Sadov <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Oleg Sadov <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 May 2007 21:16:50 +0400
At Sunday Time we spent a lot of time for testing of desktop environment
in a fresh installation from SL50 and was slightly frustrated by
crushing of Evolution during startup. In CentOS Evolution started
without problems (but it has version 2.8.0-33, not 2.8.0-33.0.1).

Further analisys shows dependency of this problem of last evolution-
data-server timezone description changes. This bug may be reproduced by
setting TZ environment variable, for example:

TZ=Europe/Moscow evolution

Some of bug-sensitive timezones:
 Russia -- Europe/Moscow, Europe/Volgograd, Asia/Irkutsk
 Indonesia -- Asia/Makassar, Asia/Ujung_Pandang
 Mongolia -- Asia/Ulaanbaatar, Asia/Ulan_Bator

After looking to backtrace & source code debugging I found the root of
evil -- into the last changes of data-server zoneinfo descriptions
(evolution-data-server-1.8.0-updated-zoneinfo.patch) removed TZNAME tags
from Australia/Perth.ics and Asia/Jerusalem.ics. As a consequence --
NULL pointer for TZ name string references, string comparison with NULL
pointers an so on...

Because, evolution-data-server is important infrastructure component not
only for Evolution, but for some other GNOME components too, I think,
this problem must be resolved. Given above, we have three ways for that:
1) quick&dirty -- setting up corresponding UTC-relative TZ (not exactly
equivalent) or starting of evolution with --disable-eplugin option
2) orthodox -- downgrading of evolution-data-server package, or setting
up TZNAME tags in Australia/Perth and Asia/Jerusalem timezones
3) hackers way -- source patching by single line of code (the patch is
attached)

Of course, further testing will be helpfull and, may be, escalating this
problem to the upstream vendor will be reasonably.

Apropos, Connie or/and Troy, which procedure was used for evolution-
data-server package building? My rpmbuild on SL50 was finished with some
error messages:

+ aclocal
configure.in:706: /usr/bin/m4: builtin `mkstemp' requested by frozen
file is not supported
autom4te: /usr/bin/m4 failed with exit status: 1
aclocal: autom4te failed with exit status: 1

Seems like your package built by previous version of automake tool box.
Package was rebuilded on SL50 only after removing `mkstemp' function
checking directive in a line 706 of configure.in.

--Oleg