SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL Archives

April 2007

From:
Owen Synge <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 16 Apr 2007 17:57:17 +0200
On Mon, 19 Mar 2007 20:17:38 +0100 (CET)
Stephan Wiesand <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> On Mon, 19 Mar 2007, [log in to unmask] wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 19 Mar 2007 16:21:31 +0000
> > Karanbir Singh <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> > > why not use the new Apt ? it uses the rpm-metadata ( that yum uses ) for
> > > its backend stuff, and its functional on everything from RH7.3 to EL5.
> > >
> > > - KB
> >
> > I think this is a shame, but I thought YUM takes the longest to
> > generate a repository well createrepo anyway.
>
> Try the "-c" option. I works wonders at least if you only add a few rpms
> to a large repo.

I have done this now, and my apt and yum generation script for sl 3/4
and 32/64 bit systems, for no rpm change has gone down from 20-30 mins,
for full synchronisation and meta data update, to 20 seconds. This
removes my largest complaint about YUM repository generation, thanks
for the tip.

I should like to reiterate try the "-c" option. It works wonders.

Thanks again

Owen Synge