SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL Archives

April 2007

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Apr 2007 13:22:49 -0500
[log in to unmask] wrote:
> Hi Troy,
>
> On Fri, 27 Apr 2007, Troy Dawson wrote:
>
>> Scientific Linux  "SL 5.0 Release Candidate 1.5" on x86_64 April 27, 2007
>>
>> Items marked with a "**" indicate changes compared to SL5a
>>
>> See comments/issues/test reports to [log in to unmask]
>
> the very last problem I see ist that the RPMs from the "dist-less" gcc
> build for x86_64 are still lingering around. The problem is that - this
> week - 52.2 is considered more recent than 52.el5.2 by rpmlib, and hence
> 52.2 is what gets installed by anaconda, and future updates probably
> wouldn't work as expected.

Yep ... this just bit us and we just fixed it.

> Once these are gone I'll stamp "good for production use" all over the
> x86_64 RC, as I already did for i386. I'm still worried by Jan's warning
> w.r.t. OpenAFS-1.4.4 and users sharing credentials, but I'm unable to
> reproduce these problems.
>
> Cheers,
>     Stephan
>
> PS Since TUV just announced errata for the kernel packages: I
>    have some minute changes to the openafs packages, but probably
>    won't be able to tend to this before wednesday. If you want to
>    release the current state, that's ok. But if this is going to
>    delay the release for a couple of days, it may make sense to
>    put in those minor fixes.

We'll see how long it delays us.  But we were sort of expecting this.
I have gotten pretty good at guessing when TUV will release a kernel
errata.  They always do it on the day that we are going to release our
RC 2.5 of whatever release the kernel will affect.
So, since we were going to try and get out the RC 2.5 of SL5 today, they
released the kernel for 5 to delay us a few days.

Troy
Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468
Fermilab  ComputingDivision/LCSI/CSI DSS Group