SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL Archives

April 2007

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Apr 2007 16:34:17 -0500
Jon Peatfield wrote:
> I hope people don't mind me asking a couple of possibly (very) dumb
> questions...
>
> I was just looking on TUV's errata webpage for 5Server and 5Client
> (strangely different set of packages I see), and wondered where their
> update SRPMS live now.
>
> The original (release) versions are on their ftp site as before under:
>
>    /pub/..../linux/enterprise/
>
> e.g. 5Server/en/os/SRPMS/ etc
>
> but the updates directory is mising any references to version 5
>
>    /pub/..../linux/updates/enterprise/
>
> I ask 'cos I occasionally look through the changes for updates which
> arn't security-related errata...

They are just putting them all in the

   /pub/..../linux/enterprise/

directory.  So in the one directory, you get the original src.rpm's, and
all the updates too.
We'll be doing that too, we'll just have scientific/5x/SRPMS/vendor/

> And another possibly even sillier question.
>
> Is there a good (or bad) way to point yum at a repo which is available
> by rsync?  ie having the baseurl of rsync://... or similar?  As far as I
> can see yum only directly supports 'http', 'ftp', 'file', 'https'
> methods.  I suppose that the rsync protocol is a but tedious for yum to
> have to directly support and calling external code would probably be
> ugly and possibly dangerous...  Is this the kind of thing which could be
> added to yum with a plugin or would that not be easy?

The first question is ... why?
rsync is a protocol that makes it easy to continue to keep two different
area's in sync, so the next time you only have to transfer a little.
yum already does that through it's normal protocols.
If you really want it, then send it on to the yum development list.

Troy
Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468
Fermilab  ComputingDivision/LCSI/CSI DSS Group