SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL Archives

April 2007

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Apr 2007 12:50:43 -0500
[log in to unmask] wrote:
> Hi Troy,
>
> On Fri, 27 Apr 2007, Troy Dawson wrote:
>
>> I did some testing with my machine that would only install in text mode.  It
>> seems that with an ftp and/or http install, if your machine only has 256 Meg
>> of ram, it will only do a text install.
>> If you do a NFS install, it will install graphically, which I hope would  make
>> X configuration easier.
>> Also, when I boosted it's memory up to 512 Meg, I was able to install
>> graphically via http or ftp.
>
> yes, this was an http installation. But my notebook has 512 MB RAM, which
> should really be enough for a graphical installation.
>
> NB If you'd put the latest version of the trees into 5rolling, I'd do
> some more testing during the weekend.
>
> Stephan

It's possible that we didn't get the image up there correctly.
I'm moving the i386 RC 2.1 up there right now.  I'm currently testing
the x86_64 RC 1.5 to make sure I didn't do anything stupid.
(And good thing I checked too ... I had changed the desktop tweak rpm,
messed up the permissions of startkde, and essentially turned off KDE.
It's fixed now ... but just always need to do a sanity check.)
I'll get the x86_64 up there soon ... but I'm working on one more
change, putting in fastmirror stuff in the yum-conf (not as default, but
  as an option).  So, there might be two updates today.

Troy

Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468
Fermilab  ComputingDivision/LCSI/CSI DSS Group