SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL Archives

April 2007

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Apr 2007 08:45:59 -0500
Troy Dawson wrote:
> Stephan Wiesand wrote:
>> I also installed RC1 on a Dell Latitude X1, which was rather frustrating:
>>
>> This device worked extremely well with upstream beta 1: The display
>> was recognized and configured correctly, suspend and hibernate worked
>> out of the box.
>>
>> Things went downhill with upstream beta 2: After installation, I had
>> to fiddle with xorg.conf to get a reasonable resolution. Maybe I also
>> had to use 915resolution, I don't remember.
>>
>> With SL5 RC1, I got a text mode installation, no working X after the
>> install, no hibernate, and pressing the power button freezes the
>> notebook. Suspend works, though (and yes, so does resume ;-). To get
>> the right display resolution, I have to run 915resolution. At least I
>> can use the i810 driver afterwards. The ipw2200 WLAN works fine.
>>
>> So in the end, this notebook works very well with SL5. But getting
>> there is much more hassle than it should be these days.
>>

> I have a machine that did something very similar with the graphics.  We
> need to look and see if it's just us, or if TUV and CentOS have the same
> problem with the same machines.  Otherwise, I think we're going to get a
> lot of users complaining.
> Well ... we might get alot of users complaining, but at least we'll be
> in the same boat as others.
> And if they aren't having the problem, we need to figure out what we did.

I did some testing with my machine that would only install in text mode.
  It seems that with an ftp and/or http install, if your machine only
has 256 Meg of ram, it will only do a text install.
If you do a NFS install, it will install graphically, which I hope would
  make X configuration easier.
Also, when I boosted it's memory up to 512 Meg, I was able to install
graphically via http or ftp.

That might already be in the upstream vendors release notes ... if it
isn't, we need to put it in ours.

Troy

Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468
Fermilab  ComputingDivision/LCSI/CSI DSS Group