SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL Archives

April 2007

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Apr 2007 11:47:35 -0500
Andrew Elwell wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> We've just added a new host to our devel cluster and tried to kickstart
> with sl5 rolling. (i386)
>
> All went well, until our local post install script copied the (correct -
> using static IP addresses generated from our cluster management utils)
> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-ethN files to the target.
>
> At some point (spotted on firstboot) these were renamed to
> ifcfg-eth0.bak and ifcfg-eth1.bak with default DHCP ones in place as
> ifcfg-eth0 and ifcfg-eth1
>
> Q: Is this a change in some part of anaconda from the 30x / 4x versions?
> if so - does anyone know what part, and how to disable it :-)
>
> I'd rather not go down the route of adding ip details as part of the
> kickstart install.
>

> Andrew

Hi Andrew,
We didn't make any changes to kickstart in SL3 or 4 from what RedHat
released, and currently do not plan on making any changes for SL5.

I currently haven't done any kickstarts on 5, but it's possible that
something changed.
Here is RedHat's online documentation
http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/enterprise/RHEL-5-manual/Installation_Guide-en-US/ch-kickstart2.html
http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/enterprise/RHEL-5-manual/Installation_Guide-en-US/s1-kickstart2-options.html
that might show something

I do have to say that I've seen an ifcfg-eth0 get moved to
ifcfg-eth0.bak.  That was on a virtual system and I was just messing
around so it was re-installed a long time ago.  But I know I wasn't
using a kickstart.  I thought it was some virtual machine thing that I
was doing wrong (since I was doing several things wrong anyway)

Maybe this bears more investigation.

When you do a kickstart install, are you installing them using dhcp?

Troy
Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468
Fermilab  ComputingDivision/LCSI/CSI DSS Group