SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL Archives

April 2007

From:
Jon Peatfield <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jon Peatfield <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Apr 2007 01:48:10 +0100
On Tue, 17 Apr 2007, Connie Sieh wrote:

> Please test the following release.  It now includes a DVD iso image.  There
> will be cd iso images tomorrow.

<snip>

I was just about to try the previous version but since this is now
available :-)

Having rsync'd over a copy and added the trivial entry to my pxe setup:

  label sl5rm
   kernel sl/5rolling/i386/vmlinuz
   append initrd=sl/5rolling/i386/initrd.img \
   method=nfs:instserv.damtp.cam.ac.uk:/inst/linux/sl/upstream/5rolling/i386/ ip=dhcp

I successfully started the installer.  In fact I got quite carried away
and spent some time picking the exact disk layout and exactly which
packages to install -- I'd planned to extract the list from the
anaconda-ks.cfg it makes for later reference...

It went off did various things to check dependencies (that message came up
twice), and created the new fs, then said it was doing something about
transactions being prepared 'this may take several minutes' (the usual
message I think), and then errored saying that the transaction had failed
with error(s):  (nothing), and tells me to reboot.

At the shell on VC2 I couldn't see any obvious errors left in files nor
any reason for the failure.  Didn't anaconda used to be a bit more chatty
about errors -- it used to offer a python traceback which at least let one
see which piece of code was crashing...

So I did it again and got the same results.  Trying a 3rd time but not
altering the set of packages to be installed worked.

I then foolishly picked some packages to install with yum and it is busy
downloading them all from your repo, which looks like it might take
several hours (an excuse to go home).  I must remember to add a local repo
entry before doing that in future.

btw /etc/yum.repos.d/sl.repo has an obvious typo in it:

   name=SL 4 base

I've not checked yet but can $releasever be used here as well as in the
baseurl info?

I'll try some of this again tomorrow with slightly fresher eyes.

  -- Jon