SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-ANNOUNCE Archives

March 2007

SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-ANNOUNCE@LISTSERV.FNAL.GOV

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Mar 2007 11:01:38 -0600
The Scientific Linux developers are pleased to announce our "Second
Alpha Release" of Scientific Linux 5.0

This is not for production use.
This release will change *dramatically* before the final release.
You have been warned.

Below are the changes from The Upstream Vendor Beta 2 release
Things marked with an * are changed from our first alpha release.

-Connie Sieh
-Troy Dawson

INFO
   [log in to unmask]     Development of Scientific Linux
   [log in to unmask]     Users of Scientific Linux
supporting each other
   [log in to unmask]  Announcements concerning
Scientific Linux
   [log in to unmask]    Announcements about Security Errata

ADDED compared to vendor
*FUSE
*
* With FUSE it is possible to implement a fully functional filesystem
* in a userspace program.
* fuse-smb: you can seamlessly browse your network neighbourhood as if
* it were on your own filesystem. Only when you're accessing a share is
* a connection made to the remote computer.  This also allows users to
* mount smb shares using kerberos.
* fuse-sshfs: A FUSE-filesystem client based on the
* SSH File Transfer Protocol.  On the client side mounting the
* filesystem is as easy as logging into the server with ssh.
*
*	fuse-2.6.3-1.el5.x86_64.rpm
*	fuse-devel-2.6.3-1.el5.x86_64.rpm
*	fuse-libs-2.6.3-1.el5.x86_64.rpm
*	fuse-smb-0.8.5-1.el5.x86_64.rpm
*	fuse-sshfs-1.7-2.el5.x86_64.rpm
*	kernel-module-fuse-2.6.18-1.2747.el5-2.6.3-1.el5.x86_64.rpm
*	kernel-module-fuse-2.6.18-1.2747.el5xen-2.6.3-1.el5.x86_64.rpm

*icewm
*
*  	A lightweight window manager for the X Window System.
*
*	icewm-1.2.30-2.x86_64.rpm
*	icewm-l10n-1.2.30-2.x86_64.rpm

nedit
     NEdit is a GUI text editor for the X Window System and Motif.

	nedit-5.5-10.i386.rpm

*SL_desktop_tweaks-5-2.noarch.rpm
*
*  This adds a terminal icon to the kicker panel for both KDE and GNOME.
* Installed by default for both KDE and GNOME.

*SL_rpm_show_arch-1.0-2.noarch.rpm
*
* 	Adds arch to "rpm -qa" listing.

Changed RPMS compared to vendor
*	yum-3.0.3-2.SL.noarch.rpm
*	yum-conf-50-0.3.rolling.SL.noarch.rpm
*	yum-metadata-parser-1.0.3-1.el5.x86_64.rpm
*	yum-updatesd-3.0.3-2.SL.noarch.rpm
	gdm-2.16.0-19.SL.1.i386.rpm

There are minimal changes compared to the "vendor" release.  We have
changed the "rpms" that are required to be changed.  These changes are
defined by the "vendor".

	redhat-logos-4.9.8-1.SL.3.noarch.rpm
	redhat-artwork-5.0.5-21.SL.1.i386.rpm
	sl-release-5.0-1.i386.rpm
	sl-release-notes-5.0-2.i386.rpm

/Client /Server /VT /Workstation /Cluster /ClusterStorage
TUVv5b2 consists of 2 cd sets,  Server and Client.  Each cd set has a
group of directories which contain the actual rpms.  On the Client cd
this consists of Client,Workstation and VT.  On the Server cd this
consists of Server,VT, Cluster, ClusterStorage.  The VT directory
contains the same rpms on each cd.

* We have combined all of the rpm's into one big directory, and placed
* this directory where the rpms historically have been, namely /SL/RPMS/

* You are no longer asked for a "key".  All packages are available
* to everyone.

   /SRPMS/
At the moment, TUV SRPM's are still on the TUV's publically available
ftp server.  When we get them up, they will be at

scientific/5rolling/SRPMS/vendor/original

Our modified SRPMS are at

scientific/5rolling/SRPMS/

Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468