SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

February 2007

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Feb 2007 08:51:32 -0600
Ioannis Vranos wrote:
> Checking Apple's site saw that they are using Intel Core Duo, Intel Core
> 2 Duo, and Intel Xeon processors. Does SL i386/x86_64 run on these
> machines?

Will the software run on a Mac?
Yes
Will you be able to boot into it without some tweeking?
No
Although the hardware is the same, they are using a different BIOS that
has the same bootup procedures as the Itanium, so you have to use elilo
instead of grub.
So at the very minumum you have to get elilo installed and working
before you can boot into it.
There might be other things as well, I haven't tried it.  This is just
what I have been told.

Troy
Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468
Fermilab  ComputingDivision/LCSI/CSI DSS Group