SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

February 2007

From:
Jan Iven <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 15 Feb 2007 16:07:54 +0100
On 15/02/07 15:08, Ioannis Vranos wrote:
> A bit off topic perhaps, but it has to do with the OS too.
>
> I had read that IPv6 would replace IPv4 as the Internet protocol
> eventually, sometime ago. I have read about IPv6 routers. I am using an
> IPv4 ADSL router to connect to my ISP and I am having SL 4.4 i386.

> Does anyone know if IPv6 is already active in the Internet,

Not widely spread. You would have to check with your provider to see
whether they offer IPv6. A list is at
http://www.ipv6tf.org/guide/organizations/services/isp.php

> and does SL 4.4 i386 support IPv6 in networking?

Yes (unfortunately :-), as we have to turn it off in some cases - there
are some issues with DNS timeouts and X11 display forwarding). You can
check whether your machine is using ipv6 by running

# lsmod | grep ipv6
# netstat  -A inet6 -ta

> I am using a network card to
> connect to the router, so SL 4.4 sees the connection as an Ethernet card.

So your router would need to speak IPv6, or you would have to
encapsulate IPv6 and tunnel to a different router..