SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

February 2007

From:
Michael Mansour <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Michael Mansour <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Feb 2007 07:10:38 +1000
Hi,

> SL 4.4 x86.
>
> Probably it is a piece of cake question for most here, however I
> have moved to GNU/Linux only recently, from the familiar Blue Screen
> Of Death OS. :-)
>
> How can I make a given script or an executable to run during start
> up, system-wide? I am using GNOME and I suppose I can place it on
> the "Startup Programs" in "Sessions" for every user, but I suppose
> there is a more elegant approach to this.

The script you want is:

/etc/rc.d/rc.local

Looking at it:

# cat /etc/rc.d/rc.local
#!/bin/sh
#
# This script will be executed *after* all the other init scripts.
# You can put your own initialization stuff in here if you don't
# want to do the full Sys V style init stuff.

touch /var/lock/subsys/local

> Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Michael.