SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

February 2007

From:
Art Wildman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Art Wildman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Feb 2007 11:00:23 -0500
Andrew Cook wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> Is there some way to install SL 4.4 without any X Windows components,
> but with useful junk like compilers, NFS, etc.. ?
>
> I tried picking packages carefully by hand, but in the last step, some
> trivial dependencies triggered the install of most (all?) of X ,
> gnome, and KDE.  As an aside, is there some way to look at what will
> actually get installed after the dependency check with the ability to
> remove stuff?
>
> This must be documented somewhere - can someone send me a web address?

Many of the cluster projects do this for headless nodes, most use
PXEboot + Kickstart network installation server. Oscar uses System
Installation Suite and images a golden client. It can be rather tedious
picking packages & verifying dependencies. I'm sure others have more
examples, or their own custom recipes...

Building a tiny CentOS installation - Owl River Company
http://www.owlriver.com/tips/tiny-centos/

Kickstart Tools Introduction - How Kickstart Works
http://kickstart-tools.sourceforge.net/howkickstartworks.html

DAG Footprint - Readme - simplified kickstart creation and management
http://svn.rpmforge.net/svn/trunk/tools/footprint/README

KickStart Configurations & CFEngine
http://sial.org/howto/kickstart/

Fermi Linux Kickstart
http://computing.fnal.gov/unix-users/tips/kickstart/kickstart.73.html

RHEL4-SAG Creating the Kickstart File
http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/enterprise/RHEL-4-Manual/sysadmin-guide/s1-kickstart2-file.html

How to use Kickstart (Anaconda's remote control) - 200610 redhat.com
http://www.redhat.com/magazine/024oct06/features/kickstart/?sc_cid=bcm_edmsept_007

System Installation Suite - SISuite Wiki
http://wiki.sisuite.org/

-HTH Art@JAX

--
Art Wildman - NWS JAX FL. - http://www.srh.noaa.gov/jax
"If the thunder don't get you, then the lightning will..." - Grateful Dead