SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

February 2007

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Feb 2007 09:52:23 -0600
Andrew Cook wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> Is there some way to install SL 4.4 without any X Windows components,
> but with useful junk like compilers, NFS, etc.. ?

When you are at the package group selection
https://www.scientificlinux.org/distributions/4x/installing/package.group.selection.html

Go down to the bottom and select "minimum"
Then go up and select the compilers.

Note, that if you pick the things in "System Tools" ... well, these are
graphical, they will pull in the graphical stuff.
Also, selecting the graphical development stuff pulls in the graphical
stuff.

> I tried picking packages carefully by hand, but in the last step, some
> trivial dependencies triggered the install of most (all?) of X , gnome,
> and KDE.  As an aside, is there some way to look at what will actually
> get installed after the dependency check with the ability to remove stuff?

Not that I know of.
What you can do, is follow the above steps, selecting minimum and
whatever you want, then follow through with the install.
Then do a
   yum remove *blah*
and see what comes off.  If you do that with some basic files list
"*gnome*" or "*xorg*" you'll find alot of stuff you wouldn't expect
comming off.

> This must be documented somewhere - can someone send me a web address?
>
> Thanks,
> -Andy

Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468
Fermilab  ComputingDivision/LCSI/CSI DSS Group