SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

February 2007

From:
Paul Casteels <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Paul Casteels <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Feb 2007 03:07:11 -0600
On Fri, 2 Feb 2007 11:33:05 +0000, Eva Myers <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

> [...]
Layer/16xDVD+R,8xDVD+RW,16xRead-SATA

>> SATA works fine in SL44.  Has worked for a long time now.
>>
>> I suggest that you look at the 2 systems and look for bios differences.
>>
>> You could also run memtest86 to make sure you do not have a memory
>> problem.
>
>They appear to have different BIOS versions - the newer machine has
>MQ96510J.86A.1614.2007.0105.1345 and the older one has
>MQ96510J.86A.1545.2006.1101.2008.
>
>Apart from that, everything in the BIOS appears the same.  In
>particular, they both have the following settings under Advanced ->
>Drive Configuration:
>
>ATA/IDE Mode: Native
>Configure SATA as: IDE
>S.M.A.R.T: Enable
>Hard Disk Pre-Delay: 0
>
>Eva.
Can you try to configure SATA as AHCI in your BIOS?
That works fine for my Core-2 / P965 board. Also use the SATA connections
from the P965 and not (if available) the ones from the JMicron RAID
controller (this one is only supported in kernels >= 2.6.18)

Paul