SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

February 2007

From:
Richard Balthazor <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Richard Balthazor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Feb 2007 09:27:41 -0700
On 01/02/07, Eva Myers <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> However, the installation problems are quite different.  Rather then
> freezing when I boot from the boot CD without any kernel options, the
> install process claims that it cannot find any hard drives.

The last time I had a problem like this (which was a while and a job
ago), I had to go into the machine's BIOS and switch/downgrade to PATA
compatability mode.  That permitted the installation to proceed and
the user to get on with some work. Then my memory becomes hazy; either
there was shortly afterwards an upgrade that included the appropriate
drivers, or we just switched back to SATA regardless and the installed
kernel dealt with everything correctly.  Sorry that's not more
helpful.

--
Richard.