SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

February 2007

From:
Michael Mansour <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Michael Mansour <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Feb 2007 14:10:52 +1000
Hi Wenfei,

> > * telnet into port 22 from a host
> >
> > telnet yourserver 22
> >
> > the response should be:
> >
> > # telnet yourserver 22
> > Trying xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx...
> > Connected to yourserver.yourdomain.com (xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx).
> > Escape character is '^]'.
> > SSH-2.0-OpenSSH_3.9p1
> > ^]
> > telnet> quit
> > Connection closed.
> >
> > If that works, then your sshd is working fine.
> >

> Thanks, Michael.
>
> I have only a Mac to telnet to the Linux machine. What I got from
> telnet is:
>
> --------------------------------------
>   telnet xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx 22
> Trying xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx...
> Connected to xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
> Escape character is '^]'.
> SSH-1.99-OpenSSH_3.9p1
>
> Protocol mismatch.
> Connection closed by foreign host.

That means that the server is listening and answering on port 22 (ssh port)
and that your client can makea connection to the server IP on port 22.

> Is this a problem because I was using a Mac ?

I'm unfamiliar with Mac's, but it all depends on your ssh client. With linux
ssh for example, you can do:

$ ssh -vvv servername

and it'll show you 3 levels of debug output on the connection and what happens
during the connection, keys exchanged etc.

There is ssh v1 and v2. Your sshd server may be setup to only connect using
ssh v2 while your client uses only v1 (that is setup through
/etc/ssh/sshd_config).

The -vvv above will show you what is happening and you can determine the
problem from that. You can also use -v or -vv, which stand for verbose, very
verbose, very very verbose.

I don't know however what ssh client you use on a Mac and whether you can
produce the helpful debug output like you can with linux ssh.

Maybe someone else on the list would know...

Michael.

------- End of Original Message -------