SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

February 2007

From:
Michael Mansour <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Michael Mansour <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Feb 2007 05:41:33 +1000
Hi,

> SL is new to me. I have installed SL 4 on a sever but found that I
> can not remote login onto it (with or without -X option using  SSH).
>   Does anyone know that I need to do something after the
> installation  of SL 4 ?
>
> I am not sure if it is a problem of my network set up or it is that
> I  need to configure SSH. Do I need to configure SSH, and how ?

Couple of things to try:

* make sure sshd is running

ps ax | grep sshd

if not, start it "service sshd start"

* make sure it's listening on the interfaces you want it to listen on

netstat -na | grep :22

by default it listens on all interfaces

* turn off iptables for testing purposes

iptables -F
iptables -X

* telnet into port 22 from a host

telnet yourserver 22

the response should be:

# telnet yourserver 22
Trying xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx...
Connected to yourserver.yourdomain.com (xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx).
Escape character is '^]'.
SSH-2.0-OpenSSH_3.9p1
^]
telnet> quit
Connection closed.

If that works, then your sshd is working fine.

Regards,

Michael.

------- End of Original Message -------