SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

February 2007

Date:
Mon, 26 Feb 2007 16:16:31 -0800
On Mon, 26 Feb 2007, Miles O'Neal wrote:

> Art Wildman said...
> |
> |Got an email from the USV & thought I'd pass along some links...
> |
> |# rpm -qa | grep tzdata
> |
> |tzdata-2005m-1.EL4
>
> We picked up tzdata-2005m-3 off the SL errata ftp
> site for all of SL3 and SL4 systems.  It's noarch
> so we used it for 32bit and 64bit.  We applied it
> to the older systems as well.  We'll see how that
> works. 8^/
>
> (We DL'd both 32 and 64 bit versions and ran sum
> on them; they were identical. 8^)

As far as I can tell, for SL 3:
   versions prior to SL 3 Update 8
and for SL 4:
   versions prior to SL 4 Update 4

you need to manually intervene,  because the glibc-common versions
for these older versions of SL do not trigger updates to /etc/localtime when
the tzdata RPMs are updated.

So on previous versions of SL 3 and 4, after applying the latest
tzdata errata, you need to copy your timezone file to /etc/localtime;
for example:

  cp -p /usr/share/zoneinfo/America/Vancouver /etc/localtime

You can always compare the md5sums on /etc/localtime and your
timezone file in /usr/share/zoneinfo/ to check if you are really ready
for March 11th.

cheers,
  denice
--