SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

February 2007

From:
"P. Larry Nelson" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
P. Larry Nelson
Date:
Mon, 26 Feb 2007 15:37:10 -0600
Ok, problem solved.  It's either a bug in SL 4.4, or a feature.
Not sure which.  From my perspective, it's a bug.  :-)
Like I mentioned in my original post, SL 3.0.4 and Fedora Core 5
do not manifest the keyboard lockup problem.

And thanks for some of the off-list suggestions.  They ranged from
too much memory (new one on me...), which wasn't the case, as the box
only has 2GB of ram - to wondering if I was using a USB keyboard and
if so, switch to PS/2 (All our rack mount servers are using PS/2
keyboard/mouse thru a KVM system).

However, Keith's reply (below) got me thinking about the USB thing,
so at the point where the keyboard locks up, I plugged in a USB keyboard,
and lo and behold, I had keyboard functionality again.

I then went to the BIOS and found, under ADVANCED -> USB Configuration,
an entry for "Port 60/64 Emulation [Enabled]".  The note off to the
side reads:
   I/O Port 60h/64h Emulation Support
   Note: This may be needed for legacy USB
   keyboard support when using an OS that
   is USB unaware

On a hunch, I disabled the setting and now everything works fine.

Thanks again for all the responses.
- Larry

--
P. Larry Nelson (217-244-9855) | Systems/Network Administrator
461 Loomis Lab                 | High Energy Physics Group