SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

February 2007

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Feb 2007 16:27:47 -0600
Hi Eve,
I sorta thought someone would have replied to this by now.
I'm not totally sure.  Everytime I try to tweak with hotplug I only end
up messing it up, so I'm out of suggestions.

You've double checked that the label is there?

Troy

Eve V. E. Kovacs wrote:
> Hi Troy,
> Thaknks, but it is not quite working like you said. I have an ext3 file
> system on the 3 partitions on this drive, and they are labelled (using
> tune2fs). When I tried the hotplug test, the system did NOT use my
> labels for the partitions. Instead it used usbdisk, usbdisk1 usbdisk2.
> Eve
>
> On Fri, 23 Feb 2007, Troy Dawson wrote:
>
>> Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2007 08:25:53 -0600
>> From: Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
>> To: Eve V. E. Kovacs <[log in to unmask]>
>> Cc: [log in to unmask]
>> Subject: Re: automount usb drives
>>
>> Eve V. E. Kovacs wrote:
>>> Hi, I have a USB drive that I would like to automount at boot and
>>> whenever it is hotplugged (is this possible?), at a fixed mountpoint.
>>>
>>> The current options in the fstab (added by the system when I plugged
>>> in the drive) are:
>>> pamconsole,fscontext=system_u:object_r:removable_t,exec,noauto,managed
>>>
>>> Is it just as simple as changing the noauto to auto??
>>>
>>> Another behavior I would like to change is that if I hot unplug the
>>> drive and then hotplug it, the system comments out
>>> my fstab entries and writes in new ones (as above) with the mountpoints
>>> at /media/usbdisk1, /media/usbdisk2 etc.
>>>
>>> How do I keep the mountpoints that I defined? There is a 'hotplug'
>>> mount option in Suse linux, but I could not find documentation for it
>>> in SL (not conclusive since there is no documentation I could find
>>> for fscontext=system_u object_r removable_t either!)
>>>
>>> Can anyone help?
>>> Thanks,
>>> Eve
>>>

>> Hi Eve,
>> The easiest way I can think of is to label the file system on your USB
>> drive filesystem, and remove all mention of it from your fstab.
>> That might sound a little bizzare, but here is the reason why.
>> You're USB drive is already being automounted when you plug it in, you
>> are seeing it yourself.  It get's put into the fstab automatically
>> with hotplug. But, as you said, it is picking a new directory for it
>> to be mounted in each time.
>> The formula that hotplug is using to pick a directory name is rather
>> simple. It's first choice is /media/<FILESYTEM LABEL>
>> If a file system is not labeled, it then takes guesses, the most
>> common being usbdrive, so you get /media/usbdrive
>>
>> If your usbdrive patition has an ext2/ext3 partition, use e2label to
>> label it.
>>
>> Troy

Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468
Fermilab  ComputingDivision/LCSI/CSI DSS Group