SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL Archives

February 2007

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Feb 2007 15:35:54 -0600
Hi Jarek,
I sorta think we must be thinking of two different things as we are
talking about this. Possibly three different things.

Scenario 1
We basically use CentOS's rpm's, but still continue to make Scientific
Linux the way we always have.  This allows us to use their errata and such.

Scenario 2
We take CentOS, and make a relationship between CentOS and SL the same
way that we are making a relationship between SL and Sites.  We would
then need to customize our installer so that it is able to handle this,
which shouldn't be to hard considering the flexibility of the installer,
but still would need to do this work.
This would still keep our Scientific Linux community intact for the most
part.

Scenario 3
Basically merge everything to CentOS, becoming a repository to it,
similar to CentOS Plus.  We would basically maintain a repository at
CentOS, an use their community infrastructure, making the Scientific
utilities and such available at install time.
This would eventually disband Scientific Linux as the support for SL3
and SL4 end at their respective times.

Troy
Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468
Fermilab  ComputingDivision/LCSI/CSI DSS Group