SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL Archives

February 2007

From:
Jaroslaw Polok <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jaroslaw Polok <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Feb 2007 19:51:15 +0100
Hi

Troy Dawson wrote:
> Hi Jarek and other developers,
>
> Aside from Pro's and Con's.  I do have one question.
>
> How do you see us moving to a base of CentOS as saving you any effort?
>
> By that question, I mean, will you have more time for other things?

Definitely yes: I will not have to test myself that my X minor releases
times 2-3 platforms actually DO install (or not due to an obscure bug
..) : part of the (larger!) community will see the problem before I do ..

> Or
> will your efforts be in a different direction?

Yes: We are interested at CERN to go towards a 'Managed Desktop' dream:
where not only updates but also configuration settings are applied
'automagically' (we managed to have it for our Computer Center over
last years: now it would be time to broaden the scope)

Also a 'Single Sign-On' on CERN domain is awaiting resources from
Linux side ...

> I personally think that if we moved to having a base of CentOS will not
> save me any effort, or at least not enough to be noticable.
>
> But what I see the switch doing is my efforts will be able to help a
> larger base of people.  That was why I brought it up to Connie the times
> that it did.

This I feel would be also more rewarding for lot of us ...

> But as far as freeing up any more of my time, I just don't see it.

Well, not directly: I will still work the same amount
of time on linux: but possibly I (and others) could
spend my time in a more productive/efficient manner ..

And then the NIH (Not Invented Here) syndrome .. is
sthg I'm trying to avoid ... when we started SL(X) ..
there was no real alternative (CentOS was just
beginning too): now there is one: why not to try joining
the forces instead of repeating same work here and there ..
(already going SL(X) spared a lot of duplicated effort
across all labs: going CentOS could spare more..)

Cheers

Jarek
__
_ Jaroslaw_Polok ___________________ CERN - IT/FIO/LA _