SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL Archives

February 2007

From:
Alex Owen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Alex Owen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Feb 2007 18:07:02 +0000
On Wed, 28 Feb 2007, John Hearns wrote:

> Jaroslaw Polok wrote:

> I had hoped the HPC community  could have a scientifically "branded" distro
> on which to base technical computing, ie. you might hope that vendors of
> commercial packages could see the light and certify their packages on SL.

I see very little benifit in having a seperate "branded" distro for that.
seems like a lot of effort. A "branded" installer which installs baseOS +
addon repo... now that make sense.

LSB is what we should be asking vendors to certify against and ask Linux
distros to certify against. Then we have choice.

> Remember the Pine saga. Pine was ditched by all the main distros, yet had a
> big following in HEP.
> Your point about having an 'extras' repository with HEP specific packages,
> e.g Cernlibs, pine etc. would take care of that of course.

Oh yes... of course pine was "ditched" because it was illeagal to
distrubute as I recall (which seems like a good reason to me)... so even a
seperate repository is no good there. However Alpine (from the same stable
as pine) is apache licenced so will be in distros:
  http://www.washington.edu/alpine/
  http://packages.debian.org/alpine

Alex Owen