SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL Archives

February 2007

From:
John Hearns <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Hearns <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Feb 2007 17:21:22 +0000
Jaroslaw Polok wrote:
> Hello all.

Perhaps not a relevant contribution, but having been at FOSDEM in
Brussels over the weekend I am disappointed that I didn't take in more
of the CentOS/Fedora track. I went to the Intro to CentOS and
to Alisdair Kergon's excellent talk on LVM futures.
Missed Dag Wieer's session also.
I can say that CentOS and Fedora people seemed to get along very well
manning the information stand.

I know Karanbir Singh from the team, and also Lance Davis if you need
some introductions.

I cannot speak officially for Streamline - I stress this is a personal
contribution. I would be disappointed if Scientific Linux were to be
discontinued.

It is always good to have a rich set of choices if free software,
with different slants. Look at the KDE/Gnome desktops - both continue to
flourish.
I'm glad that I'm able to work for a company which installs and supports
Scientific Linux when requested by customers.
I had hoped the HPC community  could have a scientifically "branded"
distro on which to base technical computing, ie. you might hope that
vendors of  commercial packages could see the light and certify their
packages on SL.

Remember the Pine saga. Pine was ditched by all the main distros, yet
had a big following in HEP.
Your point about having an 'extras' repository with HEP specific
packages, e.g Cernlibs, pine etc. would take care of that of course.

The only other thing I would think about is future directions.
Are you certain that the CentOS folks will put in any changes or patches
which you need, if they are going after a different market?

Sorry to take up so much space. You get out of something what you put
in, and as I have only been able to put in a bit of support and
encouragement on the mailing list when I can fit it in, I don't have
much say.

As you say, there must be a huge support workload on you, and many
issues must arise which aren't within your strict job description.

John Hearns