SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL Archives

February 2007

From:
David Thompson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
David Thompson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Feb 2007 10:03:31 -0600
Jaroslaw Polok wrote:

>> - CentOS doesn't like to let users "sit on a release".  Now this might
>> be changing since RedHat is finally letting users do that.  But that
>> might be a concern that several scientists have.  You know, as well as
>> I, that despite all explanations and reasoning, they don't want
>> *anything* to change (and at the same time must have all the latest
>> bleeding edge stuff).
>
>No they don't, but we at CERN do not give them the choice:
>Once SLC X.Y+1 is released, yum repositories change from X.Y to new
>one.. and everyone is updated immediately (ie: once per week).
>(exception being computer center batch farms where we target to have
>an update once every 3-4 weeks only in the future)
>
>.. surprisingly enough: We haven;t heard any complaints about that in
>last 2.5 years ..

I find it pretty hard to blame CentOS for that.  As I understand it, CentOS is only mirroring their upstream source's behavior.  That is, once enterprise linux X.Y+1 comes out, there are no more updates for X.Y.  So your choice is to stop updating (and start being vulnerable) or apply updates (and be at X.Y+1).  You can always keep a local snapshot of the final version of each X.Y release if you want to for private clusters, etc.  Or are you just requesting a repository of each X.Y release?

Dave Thompson
UW-Madison