SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL Archives

February 2007

From:
"Marc W. Mengel" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Marc W. Mengel
Date:
Wed, 28 Feb 2007 09:55:46 -0600
Troy Dawson wrote:

> - CentOS doesn't like to let users "sit on a release".  Now this might
> be changing since RedHat is finally letting users do that.  But that
> might be a concern that several scientists have.  You know, as well as
> I, that despite all explanations and reasoning, they don't want
> *anything* to change (and at the same time must have all the latest
> bleeding edge stuff).
> This is one point I think we'll have a hard time with when talking to
> some of the user communities.  We'll have to come up with some
> reasonable solution.

Perhaps we could do something along the line of
  * mirroring base CentOS,
  * providing SL-style "tweak" RPM's in a separate YUM repository
  * providing site specific separate YUM repositories
  * maintaining selected releases longer than CentOS does

We would only then be re-building RPM's for security updates
on our selected releases for our longer maintenance window;
but we could get out of the business of rebuilding the whole
distribution and share that work with the CentOS folks.