SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL Archives

February 2007

From:
Jaroslaw Polok <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jaroslaw Polok <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Feb 2007 14:58:49 +0100
Stephen J. Gowdy wrote:
> Hi Jaroslaw,
>     It seems like a good idea to me, for all the reasons you mention.
> Has there been any discussion with the CentOS people?

No, (as far as I know..) I would prefer that first we - SL
developers/maintainers - have a common concept before eventually
doing that ... (if possible ..)

> How about in the
> labs, is there worry about depending on an external, non-commercial entity?

That I don't know: but currently labs are depending on
few (4-5) people from other labs (also non-commercial
entities ..): besides the current expertise would stay
where it is right now: could just be used differently..

(and as long as RHEL publishes sources there is always a
'way out': CentOS has proven itself reliable in past years -
shall it disappear one day .. we could manage that ...)

.. and adding to my previous auments:

   upgrade path from SL(X)4 to CentOS 5 would not be
   any revolution, but rather smooth evolution for current
   SL users ...

Cheers

Jarek

__