SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL Archives

February 2007

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Feb 2007 15:26:37 -0600
Howdy again,
I am finding some more time to work on the kernel module plugin.

First off, right now I'm just working on the SL4 plugin.  I'm doing that
mainly because we've got lots of kernel modules and I'm able to test
lots of different situations.
As soon as it seems like it's doing what it's supposed to, I'll make
those changes that are need to work on SL5.
For SL4 I am not going to merge the kernel-module and kdml into the one
plugin.  This is because there are a few instances where both Axel and
myself have the same kernel module packaged different ways.  I don't
want to deal with figuring that out.
But I will merge them together for SL5.  and hopefully I'll be doing
that soon.

OK, now on for the real reason I'm writting this.
In many of our kernel module packages we have

Requires:	 /boot/vmlinuz-%{kernel}

This basically is saying that this kernel module requires the kernel
that is associated with it.
I would like to take that out.

Why?
Well there are a couple reasons.
The first is that it would help the yum plugin problem.  Currently
before yum get's to the plugin section, it picks a kernel module at
random (actually it looks alphabetical), it then see's that the kernel
module needs a kernel, and adds the requirement to it's requirement
lists.  We might be able to take the kernel module off the list of
things to be installed, but we can't take the kernel out of the
requirements.
The second is that it's not really needed during installations and
upgrade.  Yum is working just fine with other kernel modules that don't
have this dependancy.
The third is it might make installing easier for a user.  I know users
that would be happy to just do "yum install kernel-module-madwifi*" and
get all the kernel modules.  It's one step for them, and the extra
kernel modules don't bother them.

Why would it be a problem?
Well, you don't get the automatic removal of the kernel modules when you
remove a kernel.  But this really isn't that big of a problem.  So you
have a kernel module just sitting in your file system.  There could be
worse things.  We also could write a kernel module removal function in
the plugin if this is a problem.
It would also be a problem because we would have to remake some kernel
modules and rpm's.

Any opinions?

Thanks
Troy
Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468
Fermilab  ComputingDivision/LCSI/CSI DSS Group