SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

January 2007

From:
Keith Lofstrom <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 9 Jan 2007 15:31:42 +0000

On Tue, Jan 09, 2007 at 08:18:14AM +0000, Keith Lofstrom wrote:
> I also discovered that RHEL5 beta 2 is available (!) at:
>
>   ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/beta/RHEL5-Beta2/
>
> I made some CDs, and did an install on a spare drive, and RHEL5b2
> more or less works.  The gnome logout process does not have a checkbox
> for "Save Current Setup", but I've found no other annoyances so far.
>
> So, new plan.  I will duplicate the SL4.4 drive onto the spare drive,
> then try an RHEL5 upgrade on that drive and see what breaks.  If that
> works, I may continue my upgrade/rebuild work on that drive.

And here I ran into the next bottleneck - perhaps due to the way
anaconda works.  When I try to upgrade from SL4.4 to RHEL5 beta 2,
the installer does not recognize the older version of Linux and
wants to do a clean install with a repartition.  One can "custom"
past the repartition and reformat, but it still wants to select
new packages and seems to ignore what's there.  I did not commit
to the install - perhaps it mentions upgrade in the next page, but
that would be at the point that the install process normally starts
installing new RPMs.

So, here's the NEW question:  is it possible to upgrade SL5 over the
top of RHEL5, or vice versa?  Will it be possible to upgrade SL5 over
the top of SL4?  Am I running into some bizarre behavior wired into
beta versions in general or RHEL5 beta 2 in particular, that I won't
see with a future SL4.4 -> SL5 upgrade?

Question

--
Keith Lofstrom          [log in to unmask]         Voice (503)-520-1993