SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

January 2007

From:
John Hearns <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Hearns <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Jan 2007 11:44:27 +0000
Ioannis Vranos wrote:

> I want to reinstall all SL 4.4 rpms that are already installed, because
> there were some errors of bad tracks some time ago, and I performed a
> surface scan marking all bad tracks via "e2fsck -c -c -C -y". Since
> then, everything runs quite smoothly and I want to reinstall in a case
> that there were some data on bad tracks, when I performed the surface
> scan and repair.

If you want to go ahead with a complete re-install of all the packages,
make SURE to back up all of the configuration files in /etc
Your network configuration files and passwd file are sure to be overwritten.

mkdir /savedir ;  rsync -avx /etc/  /savedir/
or something like that

After the re-install, look for any files marked .rpmsave
RPMs will try to save original configuration files with this .rpmsave
extension, but you cannot guarantee this

find / -name *rpmsave -print

If you suspect corruption as above, I would consider doing a reinstall.
Use the Kickstart Configurator to create the configuration files to give
to Anaconda.
I will check with my friend who works with Redhat for some tips on doing
this.

--
      John Hearns
      Senior HPC Engineer