SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

January 2007

From:
John Hearns <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Hearns <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Jan 2007 15:44:14 +0000
[log in to unmask] wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is there a way I can backup the root directory, /boot and the partition
> table, so that if something goes wrong I do not have to go through the
> whole process of installation and configuration?

Sure. Mondo Rescue will burn a CD or DVD with a backup of your system.
you can boot the CD/DVD and do  'bare metal' recovery on a system with
blank hard drives.

http://www.mondorescue.org/

The RHEL 4 RPM packages should install fine on a SL system.
ftp://ftp.mondorescue.org/rhel/4

The other way to do things would be to do as you suggest - backup your
root parition, /boot and partition table via
sfdisk -d /dev/sda  > partition.save
and keep this on the backup
Boot the machine with a Knoppix CD, and rebuild the drives by:
sfdisk /dev/sda < partition.save

Been there, rebuilt dead machines, got the T-shirt.

In fact, we commonly ship clusters with a backup head node.
This is a machine with a second hard drive in it, which is partitioned
with the same partition table as the primary. Every night the primary is
rsynced to it. Run lilo to enable a dual boot between the normal hard
drive and the secondary copy disk.

--
      John Hearns
      Senior HPC Engineer