SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

January 2007

From:
Art Wildman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 22 Jan 2007 21:24:43 -0500
Vaibhav Vaidya wrote:
> I was specifically looking to avoid MATLAB (which our lab has a linux
> license for), since to get any graph presentable after I generate it, I h
> ave
> to change the line width, increase font etc etc, in short sweat a lot. Th
> en
> there is some change required in the data and it starts all over. Whereas
>
> Origin seems to generate clean graphs to start with!
>
> Does Octave make un-printable graphs like MATLAB?
>
> Thanks

IIRC, Octave doesn't do everything that MATLAB does (only emulates the
matlab style code development). For example it doesn't have graphing
built-in, but depends on other (gnuplot) tools for visualization
<http://sunsite.univie.ac.at/textbooks/octave/octave_15.html>. Gnuplot
<http://www.gnuplot.info/> makes graphs in many formats (LaTex, svg,
png) & can be converted to postscript or pdf.  For graphing I have used
GnuPlot (simple & scriptable), Guppi, Vis5d and some others... It really
depends on your data, output display medium & application
(2D,3D,StatAnalysis..) UCAR has some great Earth Science/Meteorology
Apps. A good start is SAL...

SAL: Scientific Data Processing & Visualization
http://gd.tuwien.ac.at:8050/D/

Scientific Applications for Linux
http://linux.about.com/b/a/088502.htm

--
Art Wildman - NWS JAX FL. - http://www.srh.noaa.gov/jax
"If the thunder don't get you, then the lightning will..." - Grateful Dead