SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

January 2007

From:
"Eve V. E. Kovacs" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Eve V. E. Kovacs
Date:
Mon, 22 Jan 2007 16:43:39 -0600
Hi,
I am trying to upgrade our mail server to SL4.4. Our linux
clients are either SL4.4 or SL3.x (or Redhat EL3). The clients nfs-mount
/var/spool/mail from the server and some users read their email with pine.

The problem I am having is that on 3.x clients, pine hangs. Pine tries to
open the inbox and just sits there. The version of pine is pine-4.58-3.SL.

On the 4.4 clients there is no problem. Pine (pine-4.64-1.SL) opens just
fine, and I can read my email.

If I try to install pine-4.64-1.SL on a 3.x system, it fails because the
correct openldap libraries are not installed. If I try to install
pine-4.64-1.SL AND a newer version of openldap, this fails because of
other dependencies. So this doesn't look like a promising approach to
pursue.

Has anyone else seen this problem or have any idea of what could be
causing it and/or how I can fix it (short of upgrading all my 3.x clients
to 4.x)?

Thanks
Eve

Eve Kovacs