SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

January 2007

From:
Art Wildman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Art Wildman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Jan 2007 13:23:55 -0500
Eva Myers wrote:

>>> Is a program or GNOME applet with similar functionality to xbiff
>>> available for SL4?  Searching the list archives confirmed that xbiff
>>> itself is no longer available, but didn't say what people tend to use
>>> instead.  I and many of my users find it very useful to be beeped when
>>> new email arrives.
>>> Eva.
>>>

>> In SL4.4 there is a 'mailcheck' tool built-in to Gnome as part of the
>> 'gnome-applets' package. Using SL4.4 rpms and built-in tools may be
>> preferred to using a dated xbiff tarball that will not be updated
>> automatically. There are risks and vulnerabilities associated with many
>> of these mail notification utils due to various network email protocols
>> plus, the sensitive account information required to configure & check in
>> with mail servers. If I were to use a 3rd-party mail notification tool,
>> I would try to find an RPM package and configure yum, apt or smart to
>> get the updates from a reputable RPM repository.
>>

> Thank you for that helpful tip!  I have now worked out how each
> individual user can add the mailcheck tool to their panel, but it
> would be really nice to know how root can set things up so that the
> mailcheck tool appears as part of the default configuration for all
> users.  This may be a very simple question, but unfortunately I am not
> yet very knowledgeable about Gnome.
> Eva.

I'm not a gnome wizard (prefer KDE or Xfce), but GConf is the Gnome
default administration tool & should help... also legacy profiles and
hidden files can be placed in /etc/skel for newuser template configs or
use the FreeDesktop.org XDG BaseDir spec...
http://standards.freedesktop.org/basedir-spec/basedir-spec-latest.html

Desktop Application Autostart Specification - freedesktop.org
http://standards.freedesktop.org/autostart-spec/autostart-spec-latest.html

GConf configuration system
http://www.gnome.org/projects/gconf/

Red Hat Desktop: Deployment Guide - The GConf System
http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/enterprise/RHEL-4-Manual/desktop-guide/ch-intro-gconf-overview.html

Novell Gnome Documentation - Using GConf for Defaults
http://www.novell.com/documentation/nld/index.html?page=/documentation/nld/nld_deployment/data/bs07tse.html

GNOME desktop basics
http://www.yolinux.com/TUTORIALS/GNOME.html

KDE for System Administrators - Configuration Files + KConfigEditor
http://www.kde.org/areas/sysadmin/config_file.php
http://extragear.kde.org/apps/kconfigeditor/

SysAdmin: Get Your KDE and GNOME Desktops in Line - (dated 2002)
http://www.nichedevelopment.com/tuxist/articles/get_kde-gnome_desktops_in_line.html

Xfce 4.2 Docs: Xfce 4 Configs, Panel & Mailcheck
Xfce now uses the Basedir Specification as defined on Freedesktop.org to
locate its data and configuration files...
http://www.xfce.org/documentation/docs-4.2/xfce4-panel.html#panel-files
http://www.xfce.org/documentation/docs-4.2/xfce4-panel.html#panel-kiosk
http://www.xfce.org/documentation/docs-4.2/xfce4-panel.html#mailcheck-item

--
Art Wildman - NWS JAX FL. - http://www.srh.noaa.gov/jax
"If the thunder don't get you, then the lightning will..." - Grateful Dead