SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

January 2007

From:
Eva Myers <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Eva Myers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Jan 2007 11:36:42 +0000
> Eva Myers wrote:
> > Is a program or GNOME applet with similar functionality to xbiff
> > available for SL4?  Searching the list archives confirmed that xbiff
> > itself is no longer available, but didn't say what people tend to use
> > instead.  I and many of my users find it very useful to be beeped when
> > new email arrives.
> > Eva.
> >

> In SL4.4 there is a 'mailcheck' tool built-in to Gnome as part of the
> 'gnome-applets' package. Using SL4.4 rpms and built-in tools may be
> preferred to using a dated xbiff tarball that will not be updated
> automatically. There are risks and vulnerabilities associated with many
> of these mail notification utils due to various network email protocols
> plus, the sensitive account information required to configure & check in
> with mail servers. If I were to use a 3rd-party mail notification tool,
> I would try to find an RPM package and configure yum, apt or smart to
> get the updates from a reputable RPM repository.

Thank you for that helpful tip!  I have now worked out how each
individual user can add the mailcheck tool to their panel, but it
would be really nice to know how root can set things up so that the
mailcheck tool appears as part of the default configuration for all
users.  This may be a very simple question, but unfortunately I am not
yet very knowledgeable about Gnome.
Eva.