SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

January 2007

From:
Art Wildman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 17 Jan 2007 01:24:14 -0500
Eva Myers wrote:
> Is a program or GNOME applet with similar functionality to xbiff
> available for SL4?  Searching the list archives confirmed that xbiff
> itself is no longer available, but didn't say what people tend to use
> instead.  I and many of my users find it very useful to be beeped when
> new email arrives.
> Eva.

In SL4.4 there is a 'mailcheck' tool built-in to Gnome as part of the
'gnome-applets' package. Using SL4.4 rpms and built-in tools may be
preferred to using a dated xbiff tarball that will not be updated
automatically. There are risks and vulnerabilities associated with many
of these mail notification utils due to various network email protocols
plus, the sensitive account information required to configure & check in
with mail servers. If I were to use a 3rd-party mail notification tool,
I would try to find an RPM package and configure yum, apt or smart to
get the updates from a reputable RPM repository.
$ locate mailcheck | less
/etc/sound/events/mailcheck.soundlist
/usr/share/gnome/help/mailcheck
/usr/libexec/mailcheck-applet
$ rpm -q -f /etc/sound/events/mailcheck.soundlist
gnome-applets-2.8.0-5
$ rpm -qiv gnome-applets
http://dag.wieers.com/packages/gnome-applets/gnome-applets.spec

Evolution and Kmail also have built-in mail notification widgets...
$ locate notif | grep -i mail

There are many "New Mail Notification" tools, some launch via the panel
at startup, others are application specific & require the mail program
or a plugin to be running in the background. Most are listed here...
MailNotification - Linux Links
http://www.linuxlinks.com/Software/Internet/Mail/Notification/

Mail Notification - appears to be the current Gnome/Kde/Xfce
FreeDesktop.org tool of choice and is located in the 'extras' repository
(not sure where that lives on SL?)...
http://www.nongnu.org/mailnotify/
http://rpm.pbone.net/index.php3/stat/4/idpl/3430795/com/mail-notification-3.0-7.fc6.i386.rpm.html
http://linux.web.cern.ch/linux/scientific4/docs/softwaremgmt.shtml
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Extras/UsingExtras

gnubiff - (replaces gbiff/gbiff2) GUI gnome panel mail notification
utility - RPMs@RPMForge
http://gnubiff.sourceforge.net/
http://dag.wieers.com/packages/gnubiff/
http://dries.ulyssis.org/apt/packages/gnubiff/info.html
http://rpmforge.net/user/packages/gnubiff/

Kbiff - KDE Mail Notification Utility
http://www.granroth.org/kbiff/

netbiff - mail notification utility
http://www.cs.virginia.edu/~jrk3g/netbiff/

Mozilla New Mail Icon - moztraybiff - Extension for Mozilla Thunderbird
& Seamonkey
http://moztraybiff.mozdev.org/

GKrellM Plugins - Mailwatch
http://gkrellm.luon.net/mailwatch.phtml

There are many variants of biff or xbiff (named after dogs that fetch
mail) and just as many rewrites, which one is in favor is likely
dependent on how it handles security bugs and how active the development
is. For example 'elm' <http://www.instinct.org/elm/> was once my
preferred console email client and came with an easy to use utility
called 'newmail' <http://www.die.net/doc/linux/man/man1/newmail.1.html>.
Elm is no longer in active development and the TUV no longer distributes
it, so I am still learning mutt <http://www.mutt.org>. Newmail is
available as a standalone tool and appears actively developed, though I
haven't found an rpm...

newmail - mail notification utility with audible beeps
http://www.infodrom.org/projects/newmail/

Some interesting 'mail notification' hacks....
CheckingMailRemotely - MuttWiki UserStory
http://wiki.mutt.org/?action=browse&diff=1&id=UserStory/CheckingMailRemotely

UNIX mail notification in the dock - macosxhints.com
http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20020221085718945

--
Art Wildman - NWS JAX FL. - http://www.srh.noaa.gov/jax
"If the thunder don't get you, then the lightning will..." - Grateful Dead