SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

January 2007

From:
Alex Kruchkoff <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Alex Kruchkoff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Jan 2007 15:30:04 +1100
Keith,

My hardware is different, but it does not really matter. In the router I
disabled essid broadcasting; allowed to connect from certain mac
addresses only and used wpa_psk [if you have a spare desktop, which
could run radius server, then that solution is even better and more
secure, but I didn't try].

I installed from ATrpms wpa_supplicant-0.4.9-15.el4.at.x86_64; run
wpa_passphrase based on essid and password in the router and put the
generated output in /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf

As essid broadcasting is disabled I've added "ap_scan=2" to the config
file, which means don't scan, but yse the first network confiruration
from the file.
To start wpa_supplicant I used

wpa_supplicant  -i<Interface> -c /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf
-D<driver>

At the beginning you can use additional options for debugging and
troubleshooting potential connections problems. When everything is fixed
you may run wpa_supplicant in the background...
In another window I run wpa_cli; using it's command you can find out the
status of your connection; change the network, passwd etc.. [you may
terminate wpa_supplicant] .All I need to do after this step is assign
the ip to the interface. For dhcp I simply use ``dhclient <interface>''.

That's it. The next step I should probably start NetworkManager
[NetworkManager is a network link manager that attempts to keep a wired
or wireless network connection active at all times], but
I simply did not have a time to try it.

HTH

Alex